Sons of the American Legion Post 347
We strive to strengthen and support the Four Pillars of the American Legion. By doing so, we honor our Fathers and Grandfathers who served our country during the great wars and conflicts.
The Four Pillars of the American Legion:
- I. Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation
- II. National Security
- III. Americanism
- IV. Children and Youth
Post 347 lounge entertainment and meals by the SAL: Burger Night Menu or
- Every Monday 5:00pm to 7:00pm the dinner menu consists of hamburgers, curly fries, chicken fingers, etc. Entertainment is karaoke with a live DJ (David Baldwin) 6:00pm to 10:00pm.
- Every Thursday 5:00pm to 7:00pm the dinner menu offers Italian specialties such as: pizza with fresh toppings, pasta or eggplant dinner, etc. Entertainment is “Name That Tune” with a live DJ from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. There is also organized table shuffleboard starting at 4:00pm (donation is $2 per week for the table shuffleboard league).
- Every Sunday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm during the NFL season and the menu is chicken wings, etc.
- Harvest Day Dance is held at the end of September.
- SAL members volunteered 15,687 hours during 2015 in these categories:
- · 106 for VA Medical Center work.
- · 204 for VA Field Service work.
- · 1,496 for VA Home Service work.
- · 41 for VA Medical Center visits.
- · 6,672 in support of the Child Welfare Foundation.
- · 6,881 in support of Special Olympics.
- · 287 in support of the Children & Youth activities.
- Help with the organization and behind the scenes work for the American Legion Golf Tournament.
- Help with the American Legion Auxiliary Poppy Sales.
- Help the Salvation Army bell ringers.
- Entertain Veterans at Freedom Pointe Homewood Nursing home semi-monthly with music or an interesting guest speaker.
- Provide donuts and coffee for the VA Hospital in the Villages every month.
- Flags for Fallen Veterans - Flag repair at Post 347 prior to Memorial Day.
- Flags for Fallen Veterans - Flag placement at Bushnell National Cemetery on Memorial Day.
- Flags for Fallen Veterans - Flag removal at Bushnell National Cemetery after Memorial Day.
- Annual Arts & Crafts Expo held in the Legion Hall in mid-December.
- We assist in operating the golf driving range on Rolling Acres Road several days a week. Ralph Corso is the coordinator; volunteers are needed and they can contact Ralph at 352-751-1121.
- Habitat for Humanity Veterans Village.
- Children’s Welfare Network.
- Make a Wish Foundation.
- Special Olympics.
- Contribute towards The Legion’s sponsorship of Boys’ State.
- Scholarship for a deserving high school senior.
- Monthly SAL meeting is 7 PM on the third Wednesday of each month.
Newsletters and Meeting Minutes:
Son's Squadron 347 Commander Butch Stroud with National Commander Dale Barnett
Son's Squadron 347 Commander Butch Stroud and Sons Squadron 16 Detachment Commander Kevin Porterfield